Islamabad High Court summons ISI major in missing persons’ case
In quite an unexpected move, the Islamabad High Court (IHC) while taking cue from the Supreme Court summoned a major of the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) by March 14 to defend allegations against him in the missing persons’ case.
The IHC summoned Major Tariq of the premier spying agency following a petition filed by Muhammad Islam Abid, a relative of one of the two missing persons, Dr. Abdul Wahid and Dr. Abdul Qayyum.
A single-member bench of the IHC, comprising Justice Noorul Haq Qureshi, heard the petition.
The petitioner, who is brother-in-law of Dr. Abdul Qayyum, had prayed the court to recover both Dr. Abdul Qayyum and Dr. Abdul Wahid, who went missing from Rahim Yar Khan and Lahore respectively.
Umer Hayyat Sindhu, the counsel for the petitioner, pointed finger at ISI’s Major Tariq, claiming that he had earlier picked a citizen Osama Hanif and took him away to his office in Sector G-9, Islamabad.
He told the court that both the doctors had gone missing in August last year and they were never seen again since then. “There is no clue to both the abductees,” the lawyer said, adding the police had also failed to recover the missing persons.
In the meantime, the Islamabad High Court issued contempt of court notices to Federal Housing Minister Faisal Saleh Hayyat, Secretary Housing Kamran Lashari and Pakistan Public Works Department (PWD) Director General Gulab Zamir for not reinstating two employees despite court orders.
The notices were issued on the petitions of two sacked employees of PWD, Rana Salim and Masood Akhtar. A single-member bench of the IHC, comprising Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui, heard the petition.
Abdur Rahim Bhatti Advocate, the petitioner’s counsel, told the court that the Ministry of Housing and Works had not restored his clients — Superintendent Rana Salim and Executive Engineer Masood Akhtar — despite court orders.
“The court passed the orders on December 29, 2011 restoring my clients to their previous positions in PWD; however, the minister and top officials of the ministry did not obey the orders,” the lawyer said.
He held the minister, secretary of Housing and Works and PWD DG responsible for disobeying the court and requested to issue contempt notices against them.
In the lights of these arguments, the court issued contempt notices to Federal Minister Faisal Saleh Hayyat, Secretary Housing and Works Kamran Lashari and PWD DG Gulab Zamir and directed them to respond the notices in the second week of March.
Breaking Newsview all
- Search by Date
- Search by Category
- Search with Google