Police officials reveal that two Taliban suicide bombers murdered at least 27 people and injured about 40 in an attack on vehicles transporting recently graduated cadets on the western borders of Kabul, on Thursday.

The preliminary information reported that three buses were assaulted as they neared the capital from nearby Wardak province.

The police officer who refused to disclose his identity, said, “Initial information we have is that two suicide bombers were involved and there are many casualties.”

Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesperson, said the primary assault pursued vehicle transporting police cadets and their trainers. A second bomber butted his car, filled with explosives, into the vehicles, executing dozens as rescuers and emergency services arrived at the scene.

These attacks have highlighted the security issues in Afghanistan a week before leaders are scheduled to discuss the prospect of maintaining support for the Kabul government Nato summit in Warsaw.

The Taliban has affirmed that attacks against the Western-backed government will persist under new leader Mullah Haibatullah Akhundzada, who was assigned a month ago after his predecessor, Mullah Akhtar Mansour, was executed in a US drone strike.

The chief UN official, last week, in Afghanistan notified the public and government officials of the possibility of an escalation of violence after recent suicide attacks and a series of highway kidnappings by the Taliban.

The violence included a suicide bombing which targeted Nepali security guards working for the Canadian embassy in Kabul and resulted in the death of 14 people just 10 days after the cadet attack,

Another attack in the recent spate of attacks dubbed the ‘deadliest bombing of its kind in Afghanistan since 2011’ happened in April and resulted in the death of an estimated 64 people after a Taliban attack on a security services facility in Kabul.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY