A deadly shooting in a Quebec mosque on Sunday during the night prayers, left five people dead and several others injured. The shooting comes at a time when Muslims are being barred from entering the United States and are facing major hurdles worldwide, due to their faith.

The Canadian Prime Minister, who says that Muslim refugees are welcome in Canada after the US’s ban, condemned the attack.

“We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge,” Trudeau said in a statement.

“Tonight, Canadians grieve for those killed in a cowardly attack on a mosque in Quebec City. My thoughts are with victims & their families,” Trudeau tweeted earlier in the night.

According to the details of the incident provided, up to three gunmen entered a three-story mosque in Quebec City during the night prayers and opened indiscriminate fire on the people who were praying there. At that time, there were around 40 people inside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center.

“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” said the mosque´s president, Mohamed Yangui. Quebec police said there were many victims and deaths, but did not confirm the death toll.

So far two people have been arrested but there have been no immediate details available about the suspects. No other details were available regarding the third suspect, but a manhunt is on the way.

According to eye witnesses’ reports, a heavily armed police tactical squad was seen entering the mosque right after the attack. The police searched the entire vicinity and later secured the mosque after evacuating the occupants.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY