A girl was found hanging by the ceiling of her room fan at her home in Dhoke Dabri village in the area of the Neelah police. It has been made to appear that the 17-year-old girl committed suicide but police believe that they may have been foul play involved.

The family members of the girl told the police that she had committed suicide on Friday evening.

“The family members were not ready for a postmortem. They exercised their utmost influence on the police to bury the body without any autopsy but the police did not accept their unjust demand,” said a police official on the request of anonymity.

Meanwhile the post-mortem report did indeed show that the girl had been subjected to torture.

The postmortem report stated that a; “lacerated wound about 5x2cm (like slant mark) on left scapular area and a 1x1cm burn mark like of a cigarette on the left buttock.”

It adds that a half circled ligature mark of about 8cm was also found on front of the neck while the hyoid bone was fractured.

A senior doctor at the District Headquarters Hospital, who had seen the autopsy, expressed doubts on the death of the girl.

“Through the findings of the report I can say the girl was murdered,” the doctor added.

A senior official of the district health department confirmed that the deceased was subjected to external assault.

“The father of the deceased told us that he and his wife were not present at home and the girl was alone. When the mother returned she found the gate of the house locked.”

He further said that the mother got the lock broken and when she entered their home, she found her daughter hanging by the fan.

She then informed her husband who was on his way to the police station to get some documents verified.

When contacted, SHO Neelah police station Faisal Manzoor said there was a marriage dispute as the deceased was not ready to marry the boy chosen by her parents.

“According to our preliminary investigations due to the girl’s refusal her father beat her in the morning and left for the police station to get his documents verified,” the SHO said.

Further investigations will be carried out to decipher the cause of death.