Oscar De La Hoya says Floyd Mayweather junior v Amir Khan is not dead!
The founder of Golden Boy Promotions, Oscar De La Hoya, still believes a fight between Amir Khan and pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather junior is possible in the future.
The 25-year-old Bolton man, who is more commonly known as King Khan, suffered a fourth-round TKO defeat at the hands of Danny Garcia earlier this month.
This was Khan’s second straight loss since he also lost to Lamont Peterson last year on December 10, though his loss against Peterson was highly controversial.
Khan had planned to move up to the 147 pounds category in order to set up a mega fight with the undefeated American legend Mayweather junior but the WBC welterweight champion has gone out of the picture for him now.
However, De La Hoya is still not giving up on Khan-Mayweather bout, as he thinks Khan can come back under the main lights with one or two good wins.
"I believe the Mayweather fight isn't dead as Amir Khan is a tremendous boxer and tremendous puncher," De la Hoya said.
"We get him another win or two wins and he's back in the picture because of his talent and his qualities."
Khan is returning to the ring on December 15 but no opponent or venue has been named as of yet. The Brit anxiously wanted a rematch with Garcia in order to avenge his defeat but he has been turned by the American, who moved up to the second position after upsetting Khan.
Garcia has set up a rematch with Erik Morales instead of Khan and this news was confirmed by the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, Richard Schaefer.
"I really wanted to put together a card that shows the diversity of Brooklyn, and to really showcase some of those fighters from and around the Brooklyn and greater New York area, so it's basically an East Coast card," said Schaefer, said during an interview with RingTV.com. "The main event is going to be Danny Garcia, obviously the Puerto Rican from Philadelphia, and Erik Morales, the Mexican.”
Breaking Newsview all
- Search by Date
- Search by Category
- Search with Google