A 28-year-old man belonging from the French city of Toulouse deliberately rammed his car into a group of pedestrians, injuring three Chinese students on Sunday. The man was arrested immediately and charged with attempted murder, after which he was placed in temporary custody.

According to the details provided, the man has a history of psychiatric problems and he had been recently released from a court-ordered hospital stay in December 2016. The man had initially claimed that voices in his head had told him to carry out the deadly act.

On Friday, the prosecutor had indicated that the incident was not terror-related.

It has been learnt that the suspect lives with his mother in Blagnac, which is a suburb of Toulouse in Southwestern France. He had previously suffered severe psychiatric problems and even has a criminal record including drugs and armed robbery charges which brought him two suspended sentences and an order to receive treatment.

The incident on Friday resulted in the hospitalization of two of the students who got injured. Both the students are in their early 20s and they are enrolled in the city’s international business school. The prosecutor in the case told the judge that their condition is not serious. Meanwhile their fellow victim left the hospital on Friday and is reportedly doing alright.

The attack came days after China asked France to “ensure the security” of its nationals, who have been regular victims of thieves.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY