Pakistani Taliban claim responsibility for attack on senior army officers

Sunday, September 15th, 2013 8:21:16 by

Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the Sunday roadside attack that killed two senior officers of Pakistan’s army and another soldier in Khyber Pakhtunkha.

The Improvised Explosive Device hit vehicle of the army officers in Upper Dir district, the army spokesman, Maj. Gen. Asim Bajwa said.


“Maj Gen Sanaullah  and Lt Col Tauseef embraced shahdat (martyrdom) an in IED Blast in Upper Dir today,” the statement spokesman said in a statement. Another soldier, Irfan, was also killed in the attack.


Maj Gen Sanaullah was on a visit to forward post near Pak-Afghan border since last couple of days, the army said.


After completing visits he was on his way back when an IED planted by Terrorists on the road side blasted which resulted into the killing of of Maj Gen sanaullah and Lt Col Tauseef.


Sources said that the army officers earlier planned to return in a helicopter but dropped the plan due to bad weather in the area.


Taliban spokesman, Shahidullah Shahd, claimed responsibility at a time when efforts are underway for talks between the militants and the government.


The Taliban spokesman told the media that there is no ceasefire agreement with the government and that the group will continue attacks until a ceasefire agreement is agreed upon.


Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif condemned the attack on army officers as cowardly act by terrorists and said such attacks cannot deter the morale of the Armed Forces.


He condoled the death of the officers and said that “Pakistan Army has made substantial sacrifices to protect the nation against the menace of terrorism, the PM office said.


Hours earlier a roadside bomb blast killed a Pakistani soldier in North Waziristan tribal region, security officials said.


Two soldiers were also injured in the blast near Mir Ali, a main down in the region, they said.


The Improvised Explosive Device targeted a convoy of the security forces passing through the area. The blast occurred during a curfew for the weekly movement of the army.


No group claimed responsibility. The security forces blame militants for these attacks.


It was the second attack on security forces in North Waziristan in less than 12 hours.


Unidentified gunmen attacked a check post of security forces late Saturday and injured five soldiers.


The incident happened at a time when the Taliban militants and the government are set to start peace talks to end bloodshed in Pakistan.


Interior Minister, Chuadhry Nisar Ali Khan, has warned that some powerful elements are bent upon foiling the peace dialogue.



Tags: , , , , , ,

Short URL:

Posted by on Sep 15 2013. Filed under Latest News, National, Pakistan. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login


Photo Gallery

Unique Auction UAE
Log in