Amid frights and fears whether he will come or not, the Judicial Commission, constituted by the Supreme Court with a task to probe the infamous memogate scandal, is all set to record the statement of Mansoor Ijaz through a video link by Wednesday, February 22, 2012.
The preparations have been made to record his statement via a video link and two large screens have been installed at the premises of the Islamabad High Court (IHC).
The commission will hold rehearsal of the video link Tuesday in the main courtroom of the IHC. The employees of the court and technical staff operating large screens would also participate in the rehearsal.
Chief Justice of the Balochistan High Court (BHC) Justice Qazi Esa is heading the commission while Chief Justice of Islamabad High Court (IHC) Iqbal Hameedur Rehman and Chief Justice of Sindh High Court (SHC) Mushir Alam are the members of the probing commission.
It is significant to highlight here that Raja Jawad Abbas, secretary of the judicial commission had already arrived in London. He will collect evidence from Mansoor Ijaz, the main architect of controversial memo.
Ijaz’s statement will be recorded on February 22 from London at 2 pm local time and 9 am London time. Raja Jawad will supervise the hearing in the Pakistani High Commission.
Zahid Bukhari, the counsel of Pakistan’s former ambassador to US Hussain Haqqani, on Monday said that he had not been able to acquire visa for London and now he would not attend the live hearing.
Bukhari said that he would not be able to make cross questioning with Mansoor Ijaz, the main accused of the controversial document.
Mansoor Ijaz is required to hand over his electronic devices and any documentary evidence to the secretary of the commission who would be present in London when he testifies.
But it is possible that Mansoor Ijaz might make such handover conditional because many people in the High Commission as well as the inquiry commission’s secretary could be accused of close ties to the civilian government, which he now paints as his enemy.
US businessman Ijaz wrote and op-ed in the Financial Times that a senior Pakistani diplomat telephoned him in May, soon after Bin Laden’s death, urging him to deliver a message to the White House bypassing Pakistan’s military and intelligence chiefs.
The president feared a military takeover was imminent and needed an American fist on his army chief’s desk to end any misguided notions of a coup and fast.