Witnesses Claim That Mateen Frequented Gay Nightclub He Rampaged

Tuesday, June 14th, 2016 6:24:53 by

As it is common worldwide, especially in America, Omar Mateen had several unremarkable jobs which he worked during and following high school including a job at a Publix grocery store, Circuit City, Chick-Fil-A and Walgreens.

Graduating in 2003, he skipped through various jobs pertaining to nutrition and health, including working at Nutrition World, Gold’s Gym and a GNC store.

His job at a state prison lasted only six months and a marriage earlier on failed.

He seemed to have finally found some stability working as a security guard in South Florida, when he caused a rampage at a gay nightclub early Sunday in Orlando, ending with the deaths of 50 people and injuring more than 53. He died while in a gunfight with the police.

It is still unknown the reason Mateen targeted the club. However, a patron reported seeing Mateen drinking at the bar several times before the shooting. Ty Smith claimed to have seen Mateen in the club about a dozen times.

“Sometimes he would go over in the corner and sit and drink by himself, and other times he would get so drunk he was loud and belligerent,” Smith said.

“We didn’t really talk to him a lot, but I remember him saying things about his dad at times,” Smith added. “He told us he had a wife and child.”

Kevin West, a regular of the club too, told the news that Mateen would message him on occasions with the help of a gay chat and dating app, but that the both of them had never met in person or knew each other by name.

West claimed to have seen Mateen enter the club about an hour before the shooting started. He later handed over his cellphone and log-in information to the FBI following the shooting.

Aged 29, Mateen had spent most of his childhood on Florida’s Atlantic coast and had lived there as an adult, quite close to his parents.

Born in 1986, in the New York City borough of Queens, he joined his family on the move to the Long Island town of Westbury two years later and then on to Port Saint Lucie, Florida, almost 125 miles southeast of Orlando, in 1991.

The imam of the Islamic Center, Imam Syed Shafeeq Rahma had known Mateen and his family. However, he claimed to have not seen any signs of violence in him, and further describing the Orlando incident as “totally unexpected”.

Conversely, a colleague at the security contractor G4S, the shooter’s most recent employer, described him as an irate, disrespectful colleague who was in the habit of using slurs and threatened violence.

Daniel Gilroy claimed that Mateen put up an irritating and questionable behavior as he kept disturbing Gilroy, sending multiple text messages on a daily basis which was reported to his bosses.

“I kind of feel a little guilty that I didn’t fight harder,” Gilroy said. “If I didn’t walk away and I fought, then maybe 50 people would still be alive today.”

He further mentioned that Mateen would use curse words for gay people, blacks, Jews and women.

Talking to the New York Times, he said, “He talked about killing people all the time.”

With regards to the massacre, Gilroy said, “I saw it coming.”

G4S rebutted Gilroy’s claims. In a statement made on Monday, it said that there was no record of Gilroy ever making such a complaint to his superiors.

It went on to say that Gilroy told officials before leaving in June 2015 that “The work and job assignments were respectful and co-workers were good men and women that put in an honest day’s work and genuinely like to work as a team and contribute.”

G4S also added in its statement that Mateen had undergone detailed screening when recruited in 2007 and he was later re-screened in 2013 “with no adverse findings”.

A woman, Tricia Adorno, claiming to be a former neighbor of Mateen’s said a security company had given him a job to guard the back entrance of PGA Village, a golf resort in Port St. Lucie. She also stated that her children would at times play ball with Mateen’s young son.

A St. Lucie County clerk of court spokesman, Joseph Abreu, reported that Mateen had been assigned to the clerk’s premises and was given a credential. He said that Mateen last made use of the credential to gain access to the building in May 2013.

Omar Mateen graduated from Indian River Community College in 2006, with a degree in criminal justice technology. According to civil court records in St. Lucie County, it was that same year that he changed his name from Omar Mir Seddique to Omar Mir Seddique Mateen.

No reasons were given for the name change on the papers.

His former wife, Sitora Yusufiy stated that her ex-husband had wanted to be a police officer and had applied to the police academy. Alberto Moscoso, spokesman for Florida Department of Corrections revealed that Mateen had served at the Martin Correctional Institution in Indiantown, Florida, from October 27, 2006 to April 27, 2007.

He got a job in September 2007 at G4S, a global security firm of about 610,000 employees in over 10 counties.

Yusufiy believed that Mateen suffered from mental illness.

Records revealed that the couples’ 2009 marriage had lasted two years before their divorce; however, Yusufiy claimed that she lived with Mateen for only four months because of his abusive nature. She maintained that her husband would not permit her to speak to her family and that her family members had to come pull her out of his arms.

Based on divorce papers, Mateen earned $1,600 a month working at G4S while she earned $3,000 as a real estate agent.

There’s no certainty as to when Mateen remarried, with a second wife going by the name of Noor Salman. A property deed in St. Lucie County indicated them as a married couple.

The pair had a young son aged 3 years old.

FBI, on Monday, described Mateen as a “homegrown extremist” who tended to support Islamic radical groups. Whilst the attack was on going, he called 911 to confess his allegiance to the militant Islamic State group.

The FBI discovered him in 2013 when co-workers reported that Mateen would claim to have family ties to Al Qaeda and to be a member of Hezbollah.

The FBI director, James Comey said that a 10-month preliminary investigation was launched, to monitor his communications and to question him.

Mateen said that the remarks were made in annoyance because co-workers were teasing him and discriminating against him because of his religion. The case was eventually closed.

He had bought at least two firearms legally within the previous week, according to Trevor Velinor of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

He usually attended evening prayers at Port St. Lucie’s Islamic Center about three to four times a week, and recently with his son, Rahman revealed. The imam claimed to have last seen Mateen on Friday.

“When he finished prayer, he would just leave,” Rahman told The Associated Press. “He would not socialise with anybody. He would be quiet. He would be very peaceful.”

The shooter’s father, Seddique Mir Mateen, on Monday, described his son’s act as “the act of a terrorist”.

“I apologise for what my son did. I am as sad and mad as you guys are,” he stated to reporters. He refused to delve into his son’s religious or political views, maintaining that he was not aware.

When asked whether he missed his son, he said “I don’t miss anything about him. What he did was against humanity”.

Tags: ,

Short URL: https://www.newspakistan.pk/?p=53300

Posted by on Jun 14 2016. Filed under USA, World. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Join WishFree.com

Photo Gallery

Unique Auction UAE
Log in